Founded over 100 years ago and guided by the concept that a fraternity is an academic organization, we are the only professional chemistry fraternity in the nation. With over 70,000 members nationwide, we unite men and women pursuing a wide variety of chemistry-related careers.
Alpha Chi Sigma Fraternity was organized at the University of Wisconsin at Madison in late 1902 by a group of undergraduates in chemistry. The official date of founding is December 11, 1902. The first initiation took place in a cold cave on campus that was once an underground meteorological station. In September 1971, the first women were initiated into Alpha Chi Sigma.
Top row – T. Howard Mathews, Edward Mattke, B.E. McCormick, James Silverthorn
Bottom row – Joseph G. Holty, Harold Eggers, Frank J. Petura, A.E. Kundert
The Beta Rho Chapter of Alpha Chi Sigma Fraternity was founded on October 30, 1965. It is in the South Central District along with the University of Arkansas, the University of North Texas, and Alcorn State University.